Digital Matter is in the process of innovating the device range to encompass the IoT smart farming hype that is gaining interest around the world.
Mechanisation of farming activities with asset tracking has improved security o f assets, and utilisation levels, but the big move now is the deployment of multiple sensors around the farm measuring everything from weather to livestock movement.
Low cost LPWAN platforms such as Sigfox and LoRa are making great in-roads in farming by giving farmers and agronomists valuable data that helps manage assets, crop rotations, planting plans, fertiliser spread and generally optimising activities to cut costs and improve yields.
Some of the hot applications are:
- Soil moisture monitoring for improved water management and crop yield
- Managing tank levels
- Weather stations to record and analise weather patterns and prevailing conditions for farm activities
- Worker safety (particularly lone and remote workers)
- Identifying temperature and humidity trends
- Livestock monitoring and management
- Asset management
- Beehive health